SUBSTANCE USE SERVICES – PREVENTION
VCkidsFYI: Marijuana and the Teen Brain. Learn About It.
- Marijuana is 3-5X stronger than it used to be
- Marijuana’s effects can last for days or weeks
- Problems paying attention and concentrating
- Slower thinking
- Less memory
SCHOOLMarijuana has been shown to have a connection to:
- Lower grades
- Skipping classes
- Studying less
- Lower motivation
- Potential for dropping out
- Lost opportunities
TEENS WHO SMOKE MARIJUANA FREQUENTLY HAVE FEWER CHOICES
- 60% of daily users do not complete high school
- Young users are 4X less likely to finish college
- Drug testing can limit job opportunities
- Social media photos may be checked out by school and employers
HEAVY TEEN USE LOWERS IQ PERMANENTLY
- Early marijuana use is linked to IQ dropping about 8 points
- Regular teen users who stopped using later in life did not recover the brain functionality that was lost
Remember, talk to your child. Your child listens. Parents Matter.
If you're concerned about signs of drug use with your child, call (805) 981-9200 to talk with a professional at VCBH, Alcohol & Drug Programs, Youth Services, Monday through Friday, 8 AM - to 5 PM.