VCkidsFYI: Celebrating graduation? Avoid fines for underage drinking at home parties

Ventura County Behavioral Health

Youth & Alcohol

June is the month of celebrations. Graduations. Weddings. Barbecues. Picnics. Celebrating with family, friends, food and alcohol. It's never too early to start talking about underage drinking.

Social Host Laws

Underage drinking is when anyone under the minimum legal drinking age of 21 drinks alcohol. There are “Social Host Laws" in Ventura County that hold adults responsible for parties where alcohol is served to underage people. The adult who owns or rents the property is responsible, no matter who provides the alcohol. The fines vary by community, but are up to $2,500. For more information see Your Home. Your Fine.

Parent Tip: Family Agreement Form

The Family Agreement is a tool to help you when talking to your teen about alcohol. Whether the conversation is about alcohol and driving, underage drinking parties, or how to have fun without alcohol and drugs. This is a simple parent agreement that you can write together.

> Family Agreement Form: Avoiding Alcohol, SAMHSA
> Talking to Kids About Alcohol, SAMHSA

If you're concerned about signs of drug use with your child, call (805) 981-9200 to talk with a professional at Ventura County Behavioral Health, Alcohol & Drug Programs, Youth Services. Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
TAGS: Youth, Parents
Comments? • © 2023, All rights reserved.
Design:: Idea Engineering